Tuesday, July 20, 2010

More than a mango

I do love all the fruit comparisons the pregnancy websites give you as your baby grows. I cannot believe we have gone from an apple seed to a mango since March. I haven’t peeked ahead to see what the next fruit is, but last Wednesday I was 19 weeks pregnant which equals a mango.


Before you start feeling too bad for me, I am not writing twice in one day because I am terribly bored. Nope. Today is actually pretty exciting because it is Hammer’s birthday! And we are going out to celebrate tonight. I actually wrote my last blog over a week ago. I just had a few technical difficulties figuring out how to start a blog. Luckily, my little bro was only a phone call away to help. Vinny is so smart! I bet some of you doubters thought I would never get around to it, but here it is.


Now I can keep you updated on all the big happenings of my life. So here is the most important update: I felt my baby move! I have been waiting for this moment and over analyzing every gas bubble that comes my way for a long time. But on Thursday, July 8, I was sure what I felt was no gas bubble. It was a definite bump. I guess I missed all the “butterfly flutters” and “fish tails” that come before that. This was a kick or a head bump to my lower left side, right where my bowl of ice cream was sitting. Since Adam wanted to feel it too and our superior scientific brains deduced - cold makes the baby move - we spend the rest of the evening putting ice cream, ice water, and just plain ice on my stomach (I hope you don’t think I am cruel mom), but Adam was left hanging. He didn’t have to wait too long though. He got to feel a bump the next night.


Movement really makes pregnancy feel so much more real. For a while I kept wondering, “Am I still pregnant or just letting myself go?” It’s official. I am still pregnant. Some of my neighbors have even told me I’ve popped, which I believe is a good thing.


Last night little Ham must have known it was Adam’s birthday because right before midnight, the baby starting having a party in my uterus. I felt really strong bumps all over the place. Unfortunately, Adam was overnight at the hospital. I am hoping the little guy (or girl – but I keep having a feeling that it is a boy) will do it again tonight for Adam. It is his birthday after all. For now, I must part with you because my midafternoon snack of yellow rice and black beans is ready. It may be a boring craving, but I can’t tell you how much beans and rice has been hitting the spot for me since I have been pregnant.

5 comments:

  1. Beans and rice always hit the spot for me too! I miss you so much and love to hear about your life. Keep the blog posts coming... and the belly photos while you're at it. xoxo, sb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does the expression "You've popped" mean? I could understand if your neighbors witnessed your water breaking...

    I thought this blog was going to be about how a mango did not suffice as a healthy pregnancy snack and your insatiable appetite demanded copious amounts of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. But I like the fruit to growth comparisons. Clever.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...I can just see you guys with the ice cubes and such. Love it! (We tried flashlights once the baby eye's were supposed to be sensitive to light/dark. We're scientific dorks, too :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also love a definition of "you've popped!" Details?

    And I must agree with Sarah- send pictures!!

    ReplyDelete