Monday, August 2, 2010

Beer, beer everywhere...

but not a drop to drink. Apparently one of the perks of living in the NE is the multitude of microbreweries throughout the area. We have already been to two that are within ten miles of our house - the Long Trail and Harpoon breweries. Adam is in heaven. And on top of having all these breweries at our fingertips, we also seem to have an abundance of beer fests. It seems like they happen just about every other weekend around these parts. This pregnant woman attended two of them in July. I know, I know, I should slow down for the baby. But before you judge you should also know there are a few root beer microbreweries up north. That is one of the many beverage selections they provide the DDs at a beer fest.

Luckily, for me, beer fests are a ton of fun, even if you are not drinking. But even if they were an utter bore, I would fake it for Adam. The poor boy had such a tough first month of residency, including being over night at the hospital on his birthday eve and part of his birthday (employers just don’t respect birthdays the way they should these days). The 80-hour work weeks are no lie – and no fun! Probably less fun for Adam than me, but it’s still tough. So to make it up to him we flanked either side of his birthday week with a beer fest. It was a great time to get closer to several friend-potentials too, which you know had me sold.

First we headed over to Burlington, which feels like a big city after living in Hartford for a month. We spent the night with John and Sarah, two Vermonters we met at Marc and Jenny’s wedding. As soon as we learned they lived only an hour and half from us, we didn’t hesitate to set up a friend date. They invited us to come stay with them and experience the Vermont Brewer’s festival, which was hosted in their town. Adam was so happy it happen to fall on his day off. The festival was on lake Champlain and the weather was beautiful. I almost forgot I wasn’t in FL. They had live music, delicious Vermont cheeses, and ice cream there, so I had myself a little cheese and ice cream festival. I told you it wasn’t so bad for non-drinkers. We also got a mini tour of the city on bikes and ate la poutine (a Canadian dish that is pretty much French fries and gravy) for the first time. We had so much fun and I think we moved from friend-potentials to official friends with John and Sarah after that.

The next Saturday we went to the Harpoon Brewery BBQ festival. Okay so I guess that one was more of a food festival with a lot of good beer. Our decision to go to this one was a little more spur of the moment. Adam was biking home from the last day of his ICU rotation, which just happened to be a 30 hour shift, when two boys from his residency class, Marco and Parambier, happened to abduct him. They talked him into celebrating rather than sleeping and he was easily swayed. Adam was of course kind enough to make sure I don’t miss out on any of the fun so they came by and grabbed me too. We had our fill of good BBQ. There were award winning BBQ venders there from all over NE. And I ate fried oreos for the first time. My baby loved them! It was really fun to get to know people from Adam’s program a little better. We even had a little jam session when we all got back to our place, which is almost always a bonding experience. We plan on breaking out “Segway” here soon-- as soon as we have enough friends.

Other than that we have been living up every free minute we have together, trying to soak in the summer. There are so many farms with U-pick fruits and berries. Right now, it is blueberry season and I think I have picked my weight in blueberries. We have had blueberry pie, blueberry pancakes, and just straight blueberries. I finally started freezing them when Adam and I both found evidence (I won’t say what) that we might have too many blueberries in our diet. They are just so delicious!

We have also been doing a lot of hiking. It is so different being up here and having the mountains pretty much in your back yard. We discovered several beautiful trails just a mile up the hill from our house that we have been exploring. We also took advantage of Adam’s “surprise” day off last Wednesday and hiked up Mt. Moosilauke. You know – just a casual day hike on the AT in the White Mountains. I am really starting to love Vermont! And I am really loving Adam’s rotation this month – no nights, no weekends, and the occasional day off. I know it won’t last, so we fully intend to enjoy every second of it. I will keep you posted on all the fun we have with our new wealth of free time.

4 comments:

  1. Segway will be an instant hit no matter how well you know them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gurrrlllllll, you sure is pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lookin' good, momma! :) Glad you guys are makin' the most of the free time. I can't believe Adam rocked a festival after the 30-hour shift! *shudder* 30 hour shifts...sooooo not looking forward to having those in our life. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you glad I invented the game "Segue"?

    You and Adam are livin' it up! I also can't believe Adam mustered up the energy to party after a 30 hour shift. Impressive. With all of the ice cream, cheese, french fries and gravy, and fried oreo fest, I sure hope you are taking your prenatal vitamins Case.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete