Monday, August 16, 2010

New York to Boston


It is crazy what kind of places turn into weekend trips when you move to a completely new part of the country. Now instead of Orlando or ATL being a quick trip to the big city, we have places like NYC and Boston at our fingertips. In July, we used much of our free time to explore our stomping ground, back when Adam only had one day off a week; but since he started his community health block which has no night or weekend requirements, we decided to hit the open road and visit some of our friends in Yankee country.

First we headed to NYC to visit our friend Mike from Gainesville YL, who was a wonderful host. Adam had never been to the “big apple” and now since it is only four hours from us, we had to make the trip. Mike was able to give us a super full weekend that was totally budget friendly. It was a $100 weekend (which means we did everything for under $100), which Adam’s attending physician couldn’t wrap his brain around. It was on this trip I learned New York was not part of New England….Who knew?? We stayed at Mike and Rob’s apartment in Brooklyn. Luckily, Ellie (our Element) didn’t end up on blocks like my dad feared. It was actually a cute little neighborhood. We did a lot of walking and subway riding, which is fun and free. We went to Times Square the first night and also had some good Mexican food, which we have been missing badly (one of the few areas VT comes up short), and some delicious ice cream from Mr. Softies (I know – great name:).

We stayed up late like city slickers and slept in like we were still in college. Mike took us to a few brunch joints. Apparently this is a very New York thing to do. Then we saw Central Park and went to the Met. There were some pretty sweet exhibits there. We saw a crazy, huge bamboo structure on the roof and an extensive Picasso exhibit. It was here I felt like strangers began coming out of the woodworks to comment on my belly (with no hesitation), which was a first for me. I guess I am really starting to look pregnant. During one of these instances, I only slightly glanced at a child having an all out meltdown in the museum and as the mom zipped past me she slowed just enough to say, “see what you are getting yourself into!” I am feeling ready to be a mom, but I’m not sure anyone is ever ready for those meltdowns.
We hit up Chinatown, which Adam and Mike were all about, and dined on some dumplings. They were amazingly cheap and pretty tasty, but they brought some of my heartburn back and for that I rebuke them. After that we trekked across the Brooklyn Bridge on foot. Then we crashed a house warming party of one of Mike’s friends. On Sunday, we saw the Chelsea market and walked on the Highline. This is Martha’s side of town and I fully intend to be a guest on her show next time I’m in that area of NYC. I’m hoping she has a baby shower show before December (fingers crossed).

Last weekend we headed to Boston (and sadly forgot my camera), which feels a little like home now: one, because we have been there so much in the last year and two, because the Nalls are there and they feel like family to us. They took us out to a fancy French-Cambodian restaurant on Friday night. I didn’t even know how much I loved French-Cambodian food until then (because I didn’t know what it was). That night was also very special because Michelle got to be the first person – besides me or Adam – to feel little Hamlet move. We did a lot of walking around this city as well, but I love it, especially after living in such a small town. I got my J.P. Licks fix, which is amazing local ice cream in Boston. I know it isn’t a strange craving, but that is the indulgence that holds power over me. Saturday night we had a picnic in the park and watched a free showing of Othello with the guy from “The Wire” playing the lead role. It was really fun and romantic, although as much as I tried, I couldn’t get Adam to make out with me while we were sharing a blanket with three other people. We also hit up a lot of local markets, where I wish I had money to spend. One felt like we were at Etsy – if it were a real place. Of course, the weekend went by two fast, but we do have plans to return.

Just when it seemed August couldn’t be anymore fun, we got an exciting call on our way home from Boston. One of our friends from FL happened to be in the area. It makes it feel like a small world when someone happens to be in the Vermont neighborhood. I guess we shouldn’t have been too surprised that our world traveling friend Andy Bray, had plans to show up on our door step. It made our year. You just don’t expect drop in visits when you move 1,300 miles from your family and friends. It makes a place feel so much more like home when you get to share it with people you love. The reason Andy was in our neck of the woods was because he has a new lady friend in NY, Lydia, who we got to hang out with. This was my first real chance to show off all of the wonderful things I have found to do around our little mountain town. I think I did a good job, because I convinced Lydia to agree to come hang out with us even when Andy won’t be able (because he will be too busy becoming a PA in NC).

And on top of all of this, Adam and I just officially started our vacation in Florida! Life is good. We just met our niece Zoe for the first time! She is wonderful! And I am really stressing that I could never make a baby as beautiful as that little half Japenese cutie patootie. If my baby isn’t cute, I would like for all of you to know you are obligated to lie to me (or at least avoid the subject).

4 comments:

  1. You are so funny! Keep writing, because I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for all the updates! too bad i H8 NY but i'm always glad to see other people having fun there.

    keep up the good blog work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you and your adorable little preggo self! :) Hope to see you in October!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...and for that I rebuke them..." Cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete